This post may include affiliate links, please read our disclaimer.
Camping and Touring Tasmania
Tasmania may be a relatively small island, but it’s packed full of spectacular free camping areas as well as stunning scenery, magical wilderness areas and some of the best beaches in the world.
We toured Tassie during Christmas 2016 and January 2017 and stayed in some beautiful camp areas, many of them free. Please keep in mind that the free status of these sites may change, though the sites below have been used for free camping over many years – so hopefully, that will remain for many more years and generations to come.
We do not mind booking into regular campsites of course, though there is something added about the freedom of choosing a spot and taking ‘pot-luck’ in finding somewhere fabulous!
- Download the Wiki Camps AU App – it costs a small amount and is invaluable!
- Free campsites cannot be pre-booked. It’s first in, best dressed.
- Almost all the free camp areas will have a basic ‘long-drop’ toilet.
- BYO loo paper, just in case.
- Generally, you must take your litter away.